Closing Feb. 13, 2021
The Discovery Center has a new formula for fun… the MathRox featured exhibit!
Divide and conquer a range of life-size games, puzzles and building challenges designed to multiply your math skills. Infinite variables await as you solve brainteasers and explore hands-on activities. The common denominator is fun, so make sure you’re part of the equation!
NEW THIS YEAR!
- Protractor Putt Putt: How do you get a hole in one? With the right angle, you can get your ball into one of the holes. An angle is the space between two rays (lines) that meet at a common point. A protractor is a special tool that is used to measure this space. Use your ball launcher to find the perfect angle to get your ball into the hole!
- Tick Tock Timing: It’s time to stretch!!! For many years, people have used an analog clock in order to tell the time. An analog clock has two, or sometimes three, hands to tell the seconds, minutes, and hours of time. The short hand shows what hour it is, and the long hand shows what minute it is. Using your arms for the hour hand and legs for the minute hand, make some different times on our clock mat!
- Linear Logic: Time to make some lines! Grab a friend and challenge each other to make a line of pucks, using one color. Logic is a form of critical thinking that you can use to solve problems. Can you get a straight line before your friend does? How can you place your pucks to prevent the other player from getting a straight line?
Designed to inspire and spark the imagination, the MathRox exhibit provides rich and engaging experiences that:
- encourage children to acquire a deeper understanding of math concepts;
- make the practice of math skills surprisingly memorable and enjoyable; and
- help children identify success with math as personally relevant and rewarding.
The exhibit includes brainteasers that are solved by working with tangrams and pattern magnets, a giant version of the “Tower of Hanoi” pegs-and-rings challenge, a large cube puzzle, a keystone arch challenge, and much more!