Visitor Services Specialist
Reports to: Visitor Services & Community Outreach Coordinator
Inspire, Educate, Interact:
- Engage museum guests using knowledge of exhibits and programs and how they apply to real life scenarios.
- Maintain a professional attitude and appearance while demonstrating a superior level of hospitality when working with the public, volunteers, and other staff.
- Be familiar with all museum safety and security procedures.
- Maintain a clean, safe, enjoyable and helpful atmosphere for visitors and staff.
- Ensure that all exhibits and surrounding areas are kept tidy so that all guests see the museum in prime condition. This would include, but is not limited to; making sure trash cans are emptied, cleaning bathrooms, and picking up litter and debris.
- Complete all assigned tasks relating to opening and closing the museum each day.
- Complete other cleaning/maintenance tasks as requested.
Front Desk/Gift Shop:
- After being trained, VSS should have enough knowledge of these areas so that they can be scheduled as a backup, placed on call or cover a lunch break for the assigned employee of those areas.
Rentals and Events:
- Assist with the successful implementation of Discovery Center rentals and events. This can include but is not limited to; setup, cleaning, parking and assisting other staff with requested task implementation including tasks that help make Discovery Center rentals and events quality experiences for guests.
- After being trained, VSS should be able to use the animals for Animal themed birthday parties or for “animal shows” during normal business hours.
- VSS will run birthday parties onsite and offsite according to the Discovery Center birthday party guidelines to ensure guests have the best possible experience.
- Assist with the implementation of public programs as needed under the direction of the Programs Coordinator.
Field Studies and Mobile Labs:
- Assist with field studies and mobile labs as needed under the direction of the Onsite and Mobile Education Coordinators.
- VSS will assist with other duties in the museum as assigned.
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required:
- Ability to interact effectively, professionally, and courteously with visitors, staff and volunteers.
- Interactive and fast-paced team oriented tasks
- Ability to relate to persons of all ages, diverse backgrounds, skills and abilities.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks.
- Comply with a flexible work schedule.
- This job requires periods of standing, sitting, walking, use of hands and arms, bending, lifting, use of computer and keyboard, listening and speaking in person and on the phone.
- Noise level varies from quiet to loud
- Temperature varies from hot to cold