LOCATION & DIRECTIONS
Discovery Center is located at:
502 SE Broad Street, Murfreesboro, TN 37130
Phone: (615) 890-2300
Exit at 81B S Church St/US-231 N. After 2.4 miles, turn right on SE Broad Street. Turn right at the next light (Maney Ave) into our parking lot.
Take I-65 to 840. Follow 840 East to I-24. Take I-24 east towards Murfreesboro. Exit at 81B S Church St/US-231 N. After 2.4 miles, turn right on SE Broad Street. Turn right at the next light (Maney Ave) into our parking lot.
Get directions from Google Maps.
Special hours due to pandemic:
Tuesday – Saturday, 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (closed Sunday and Monday)
Capacity: 75 visitors at a time, first-come, first-served
The Discovery Center is closed on Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We close at 2 p.m. on New Year’s Eve.
Please check our calendar for special events and programs that may affect operating hours.
Adults & Children: $8.00
Children under two are FREE!
Members receive free admission (Want to become a member?)
The Discovery Center accepts Cash, American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and checks.
EXHIBITS & PROGRAMS
Please join our email list for exhibit and program updates!
PARTIES & CELEBRATIONS
Looking for something different to do for your birthday party, company party, or group meeting? Then consider the Discovery Center! An affordable option at a convenient location, you and your guests will have a memorable time in our colorful, light-hearted atmosphere. Visit our Party page.
GREAT DISCOVERIES MUSEUM SHOP
Our Great Discoveries store is a one-stop shop for unique educational toys that extend the Discovery Center experience. Plus, one-of-a-kind gadgets for kids (and grownups) of all ages! We carry a variety of merchandise, in addition to exhibit-related games, books, and toys you won’t find anywhere else. To reach Great Discoveries, please call (615) 890-2300 ext 232. The Gift Shop does not accept American Express.
An array of snacks and drinks are also available in the Great Discoveries Museum Shop.
Discovery Center is committed to providing opportunities for all children to play, explore, and grow through interactions with exhibits and programs that are designed to be inclusive and accommodating.
In January 2015, Discovery Center formed the Special Needs Task Force. This group of volunteers is comprised of parents, professionals, and staff who are committed to fostering an environment that allows for exploration without barriers. The task force is working to make visits to Discovery Center more enjoyable and comfortable in the following ways:
- Assistive Technology Check Out Program
- Noise-Reducing Headphones
- Transition Timers
- Weighted Vests
- Easy-Grip Loop Scissors and Triangular Crayons
- Inclusion and accessibility training for all staff
- Sensory-focused additions to Discovery Center-designed exhibits
- Development of a museum social story to help eliminate pre-visit concerns
Parking: On-site parking is available with several handicapped spaces available in the first row closest to our main entrance. Parking is free and on a first-come, first served basis.
Restrooms: Handicap-accessible restrooms are located both upstairs and downstairs. Changing facilities are also located on both levels and in the Tiny Town family restroom.
Service Animals: Service animals are welcomed at Discovery Center. If a service animal will be accompanying you during your visit, please let the Discovery Center staff know at the Front Desk.
Wheelchair Access: The Discovery Center, along with outdoor exhibits, is wheelchair accessible. The elevator serves both floors and is always open to guests. Ramps are located at the main and patio entrances downstairs. The wetlands walking areas are also accessible by ramp.
Assistive Technology Check Out: Several types of assistive technologies are available for check out during your visit. There is no associated cost, but we do require a deposit of your driver’s license when checking items out. We have the following items available:
- Noise-Reducing Headphones
- Transition Timers
- Weighted Vests
- Easi-Grip Loop Scissors and Triangular Crayons
All check out items are properly sanitized after each use.
Programs: Each day you will be able to attend a variety of programs at Discovery Center.
- Public Programs: Programs are held each afternoon and several times daily during the summer. These are included with your admission and available to guests of all ages and ability levels. You can visit the Programs & Events page of our website for specific details regarding the weekly activities for each program. We invite all guests to participate in these programs and are happy to make accommodations when possible.
- SPARK!: SPARK! is our S.T.E.A.M. Play Achieves Real Knowledge program for children ages 1-6 and their caregivers. Join Ms. Katie in thematic, hands-on, brain-based activities to promote investigative learning through the development of skills. For more information, please visit our SPARK!
Field Studies: Field studies are our guided programs for school groups. We cover a variety of topics through hands-on exploration all year long. Please let us know in advance if you have children with any special needs so we can make any necessary modifications to our topics and schedules for the day. Visit our educators page to learn more.
TIPS FOR YOUR VISIT
• If you prefer to visit the Discovery Center when it’s less crowded, we suggest afternoon visits. You may also call before your visit to inquire about a specific day, and we can provide general information about our activities and school visit bookings.
• Discovery Center has outdoor picnic areas to enjoy your lunch or snack. The Little Room may also be used if available. The Little Room is not available during the summer due to Discovery Center Camps. There are many restaurants nearby. Our staff can direct you to family and kid-friendly eateries.
• Unfortunately, Discovery Center does not have lockers or areas to store personal belongings. Please plan accordingly.
• The Discovery Center has a Family bathroom for our visitors’ convenience, in addition to Men’s and Women’s bathrooms as well as a nursing mother’s station.
• Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Our staff and discovery guides are happy to help. We want to make each visit to the Discovery Center an enjoyable one. So speak up and ask away!