Job Title: Custodian
Location: Discovery Center at Murfree Spring
Department: Building and Exhibits
Nature and scope of position: The part-time Custodian is responsible for maintaining the overall cleanliness of the museum.
- Cleaning of museum facilities, including the outdoor patio and building perimeter, preferably after museum hours.
- Works under the supervision of the Exhibit and Building Maintenance Coordinator.
- Sweep and mop all tiled floor surfaces.
- Vacuum carpeted areas of museum.
- Clean and service all restrooms, disinfect all toilet bowls, sinks and countertops. Replenish all toilet rolls and towel dispensers. Remove trash and replace lining in all trash cans.
- Identify and report possible repairs to Exhibit and Building Maintenance Coordinator.
- Maintain and requisition adequate cleaning supplies, toilet rolls, paper towels and any items needed to complete job.
- Pick up litter from around building and grounds.
- Empty garbage and trash receptacles, recycle bins
- Clean spills, clean drinking fountains, mirrors, tables, walls, fixtures, blinds, light fixtures, etc; wash windows, walls, metal and woodwork.
- Assist in cleaning of gallery spaces and exhibits.
- Ability to strip and polish tiled floor surfaces a plus.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Communication skills Interpersonal skills
Results-oriented Attention to detail
Multi-task Prioritization skills
Client service-minded Punctuality and Timeliness
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required:
- Ability to interact effectively, professionally, and courteously with visitors, staff and volunteers.
- Knowledge of janitorial procedures and ability to operate related equipment.
- Interactive and fast-paced team oriented tasks
- Ability to relate to persons of all ages, diverse backgrounds, skills and abilities.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks.
- Comply with a flexible work schedule.
- This job requires periods of standing, sitting, walking, stooping, kneeling, reaching, turning, twisting, bending above and below the waist, use of hands and arms, lifting, talking, hearing, use of computer and keyboard, and use of cleaning supplies and equipment. Must have the ability to use both hands in fine manipulation of small tools; the ability to see well enough to read handwritten and typewritten materials; push/pull up to 10 lbs., and regularly lift up to 25 pounds.
- Noise level varies from quiet to loud
- Temperature varies from hot to cold