Coding Campology has arrived at the Discovery Center!
From coding to robotics, our Coding Campology programs are designed to help students in grades 3-12 explore various aspects of STEM. Our goal is to inspire campers to harness problem-solving STEM skills that they can apply to everyday life and their future careers.
Rules of Engagement & How we are keeping your campers safe:
- For all online camps, we will utilize the beloved, long-standing camp practice of implementing a “Rule of 3.” This means that even during break-out sessions, there will always be 1 instructor and at least 2 campers on each Zoom video call. There will be no opportunities for alone, 1-on-1 interaction.
- Each camp will agree to whole-team guidelines for interacting with one another online. Our goal is that campers co-create best practices and safe spaces for sharing with one another virtually.
- All video calls will be recorded, and stored securely. There will be no distribution of these videos. They will only be accessed in the event that the call needs to be reviewed by our staff.
- All Zoom links will be accessed by password only, and each meeting will require a brand new secure link invite, provided by instructors. Instructors will implement the “Waiting Room” option, to ensure that only registered campers are allowed in to each meeting.
Online Coding Campology Programs:
Dates: July 6-10 [canceled]
Code Like A Girl
Dates: July 20-24 [canceled]
Cyber Ambassador Bootcamp for high school students:
Please note: This camp will be contingent upon available space to host this program safely, and in person at a Rutherford County school. Currently, the dates and location are TBD in July, and we will notify you as soon as those dates and location are available. If we are unable to host this program in-person, we will cancel this camp and you will receive a full refund for your total enrollment cost.
Target Grade Levels: 9th-12th
Campers will learn how to think like a cyber-attacker so that they can defend against cyber attacks. This camp will also lend hands-on experience to their resume for those looking to a future in the cyber field. A virtual portfolio will be created documenting the students’ accomplishments throughout the course.
Campers will learn the following skills:
- Cipher and algorithm creation
- How to encrypt and decrypt messages while they are in destination
- Network security
- Physical security
- Port scanning
- The concepts of ethical hacking
- The basics of Command Line Interface on Windows and Linux (Kali)
- The basics of the Python, Java, C# and Swift programming languages
- The fundamentals of cryptography
Note: Coding Campology is the new name for the summer Code Camp program previously run by the Rutherford County Chamber of Commerce “Rutherford Works” division from 2015 to 2019. Beginning in 2020, the Discovery Center has incorporated the program into its Campology lineup.
If the camp week you would like is full, you may register on our wait list. If a spot becomes available or we add an additional camp week, we will contact you. WAIT LIST REGISTRATION»